FatFractal customer forums

Author Topic: Can you deploy FatFractal on Amazon ec2?  (Read 875 times)

edward.seshoka

• View Profile
Can you deploy FatFractal on Amazon ec2?
« on: March 16, 2015, 04:59:21 AM »
Seeing that we can run FatFractal on our local machine with, can we therefore deploy it on our own server or something like Amazon ec2?

kevin@fatfractal.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can you deploy FatFractal on Amazon ec2?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »
Hi Edward:

The answer is yes. If you are interested to try it out, we would love to get your feedback.

If so, please contact mic@fatfractal.com and we will get you going...

Thanks,

Kevin

edward.seshoka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 07:56:16 AM »
Alright, I will try this and start testing and giving some feedback.

On a side note though, I am not sure exactly how your architecture works, but I am always worried about scalability and storage. Can I connect and external DB or DB server? If not how would I scale the DB etc, would I be able to run multiple instances of FF on my server to compensate for that or just scaling in general, how would sessions be distributed? If I wanted to connect to S3 how easily would I be able to do this?

Regards

mholst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:36:40 AM »
Hi Edward,

The easiest way to bring up your own FF EC2 footprint is to install the FF Cloud-in-a-Box solution (http://fatfractal.com/v2/documentation/#document-cib-overview-and-architecture).

You can also simply deploy the desktop run time onto an EC2 instance and manually deploy your app backend by dropping it into the queue directory.

The FF public footprint is a 5 tier topology with the following tiers -

ELB (elastic load balancer/tier 1) -> nginx cluster (tier 2) -> ff director cluster (tier 3) -> application containers (tier 4) -> persistence (tier 5)

If you wanted to build out your own FF footprint it would look something like the above topology.

Below are answers to the questions in your post -

q1. On a side note though, I am not sure exactly how your architecture works, but I am always worried about scalability and storage.

a1. All compute and persistence is scaled horizontally, which if you decided to build out your own footprint you eventually would do as well.

q2. Can I connect and external DB or DB server?

a2. If you are referring an application container running on the public footprint the answer is no. If you are referring to an application container on a footprint that you have built out the answer is yes (you would configure the storage metadata in the config.properties located in the conf directory).

q3. If not how would I scale the DB etc, would I be able to run multiple instances of FF on my server to compensate for that or just scaling in general, how would sessions be distributed?

a3. see a2. I believe NoServer is sessionless with the exception of cookie info that is propagated with all requests.

q4. If I wanted to connect to S3 how easily would I be able to do this?

a4. Blob storage in our public footprint is managed by a system app (a configured end point). Basically you configure the application container to send all uploaded blobs to some end point. That end point would then be responsible for persisting the blobs into S3. All blobs in our public footprint are persisted to S3.

If you want to ping me directly hit me at mic@fatfractal.com

Cheers.

mic

Copyright © FatFractal customer forums