FatFractal customer forums

Author Topic: Data Browser Feature Requests  (Read 2637 times)

metakite

• View Profile
Data Browser Feature Requests
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
I wanted to pass along a few feature requests for the data browser. All of these requests are based on the idea that the data browser is a great tool for testing and for looking up one-off data (like when responding to a support request). I think the features below would make it an even better tool for these purposes. If any of these features are already available, and I just missed them, please let me know.

1. Allow records to be deleted from collections in bulk from the data browser. Using the DROP COLLECTION COMPLETELY command in FFDL doesn't give enough fine-grained support. Sometimes I want to delete only a couple dozen records, but I don't want to delete them one at a time.

2. Allow a record's metadata to be viewed from the data browser, preferably in-line with other record properties. Oftentimes, the date that a record was modified, or the user that created a record is just as important as the properties defined in FFDL.

3. Allow collections to be sorted by different record properties, including metadata. It's often useful to sort records by creation date, or creating user, or some other property defined in FFDL. This doesn't need to be fancy. Simple ascending/descending sort options would be sufficient.

4. Make DATE values that are null display "null" instead of January 1, 1970 00:00:00.000. (I'm not 100% confident that the data browser doesn't already do this. It's possible that my tests were in error.)

5. Hide very long strings until they are clicked on. (I'll leave it to you to define "very long".) I have some very long strings in my database (> 3000 characters) that represent in-app purchase receipts. I'm sure that some of my users will add free form text that is just as long. Very long strings like this make the table cells in the data browser so wide as to be unwieldy. I would prefer that strings over a certain length (50 characters?) show a "view text" link in-line. Tapping the "view text" link could then open a detail view of some sort. Or perhaps show a "view text" link along with the first 50 characters of the string so that context is preserved and data can be easily visually scanned.

6. Make the data browser page its results. Loading a collection in the data browser can get slow when the collection contains several thousand records. Perhaps breaking the data into batches of 100 or 500 records would make load times a little speedier.

Thanks for your consideration.

dave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Data Browser Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:49:30 PM »
Thanks for the great suggestions. Not sure when I'll be able to get these implemented, but these are all really good ideas, and I'll try to start getting these implemented. Thanks again!

metakite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 06:39:35 AM »
One update and one more feature request:

Update: I've now imported my production data into FatFractal and some of my collections have ~200,000 records in them. The data browser is effectively useless at this scale. It just takes too long to load the page (if it ever loads). I hope that paging results is a high priority.

Feature request: It would be useful to have some indication of the total number of records in a collection. For example if paging of results is implemented, you might include a message that reads "Viewing records 10,000 - 10,500 of 200,000".

Thanks for your consideration.

metakite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »
Another data browser feature request: Currently, when there's an error, the error message is displayed on a red background for about a second before it automatically disappears. While I'm sure that was meant for the user's convenience, one second is not nearly enough time to read and understand the error messages. I would prefer that error messages be persistent until they are dismissed by the user.

gkc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »
got it - thanks

kermankohli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »
The current databrowser is a massive pain. I'm using Parse for some projects because the data browser is so much more easier to use and clients can use it too.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:59:40 AM by kermankohli »

metakite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »
Another feature that I hope will be way at the top of the list for data browser improvements is the ability to log in from an iPhone. Right now you cannot, because the login screen won't resize to fit on the iPhone's screen. You can enter your username and password but you can't tap the Login button because it is off screen.

This really should be a mandatory feature. I do work and support my customers when I'm on the go, and sometimes an iPhone is the only computing device that's on hand.

gkc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 07:18:54 AM »
Got it

metakite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 09:14:59 AM »
I'm just going to use this thread as my own personal wish list, if that's ok.   :)

Next wish: It would be really nice to be able to copy metadata for items. This would be particularly useful for things like guids that are often referenced elsewhere. Right now when I want a user guid, I have to manually write it down with a pencil in paper and then type it back in, because I can't highlight the text in the metadata popup that appears when you mouse over a row in the data browser. Ideally, the metadata would be displayed in the row so that I can copy and paste it as needed.

nikhil.kavimandan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »
I will add another one to this list. While developing our application, we were playing around with the data model, and created properties for some of the collections that we no longer need. Would be great if we can get rid of these now-redundant properties to clean up the browser. Not sure if this is already possible. If it is, I can move this from a wish list to a how-to question :)

dave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

We're happy to report that we have a live beta of the new Data Browser, rewritten from the ground up:

https://beta.fatfractal.com/databrowser/index.html

To use with an app, be sure to add

https://beta.fatfractal.com

to the CORS settings in your application.ffdl file and redeploy.

New features include:
- Paged and sorted query results
- Object metadata
- Responsive layout usable on phones
- New, higher performance REFERENCE and GRABBAG member setting
- App and query now in URL, allowing browser refreshing, bookmarking, and back/forward buttons to work as expected
- Updated look and feel

Please give it a try and tell us what you think! It doesn't yet cover everything suggested in this thread, and it's not quite at feature parity with 1.0 (e.g. no blobs uploads, no error messages) but development is ongoing.

Dave

metakite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »
Dave,

I've taken a quick look and it looks great so far. One suggestion is that it would be nice to have some indication of which "page" you're on in the data. Something like "Page 5 of 56", or something like that. But that's picking nits. It's great to be able to copy metadata!

I'll continue to play with it over the weekend.

metakite

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »
Dave,

Are you planning to allow system users to modify an object's metadata? Being able to give an object a different createdBy value would be particularly helpful to me. For example, I have a user right now that managed to create two different accounts. Being able to manually change the createdBy metadata for objects would make it easier for me to merge the two accounts without any data loss to my customer.

metakite

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 02:48:22 PM »
I'm playing around with the beta data browser again. I like the new error format. I actually get a chance to read the error message now! Thanks.

dave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 04:08:37 PM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know we've added a couple of new features to the beta Data Browser:

• Blob members presented as links
  • Metadata can be hidden in list view
  • Mass object deletion via checkboxes and new action menu
  • DATE members now get an input type of 'datetime'. Previously was 'date' which in Chrome resulted in a widget that couldn't set the time. Note that Chrome and other browsers have no input widget for 'datetime', thus DATE entry is in text format (ISO-8601). That format is fairly forgiving, use the Object Preview to make sure your input is accepted.

As usual, feedback welcome!

Dave

Copyright © FatFractal customer forums